The responsibility of a gardener is to maintain the beauty of plants, outdoor grounds, and trees in a garden. They perform a range of general maintenance tasks including designing, producing, renewing and preserving outside spaces. Gardeners can work on local parks, hotels, farms, and nurseries.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain and grow the garden to ensure it meets specific requirements and expectations.
- Perform basic maintenance such as cutting the grass, emptying bins, managing weed control and leaf raking.
- Plant and nurture new trees, flowers, and various plants.
- Work with hand tools and basic light machinery such as plant vehicles, and small diggers.
- Service all garden equipment and machinery.
- Maintain a clean garden by clearing rubbish and litter from the garden and grounds.
- Provide guidance to management on matters related to the garden.
- Advise management on the costs of plants and garden necessities with detailed written quotations and reports.
- Ensure a safe environment for staff and clients by adhering to safety and health regulations.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least 2 years of proven experience in a similar role.
- Ability to handle a range of horticultural machinery and powered hand tools.
- In-depth knowledge of plants and gardening techniques.
- Friendly personality with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Solid understanding of health and safety rules and legislation.
Additional skills which may benefit anyone considering a job as an gardener include:
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience as a Gardener
- Familiarity with landscaping design
- Extensive knowledge of regional plant life
- Knowledge of local pests and how to eliminate them
- Knowledge of synthetic and natural fertilizers
- Knowledge of state health and safety regulations for landscaping
- The ability to lift heavy objects
- The ability to remain on your feet for long periods of time
- A love of the outdoors and plant life